Best Outdoor Tanning Lotions: Tanning Oil & Moisturizer Reviews (2018)
All of us are pleased with the summer: warmth, open clothes, and sunny days! The skin is covered with sunburn, the body synthesizes vitamin D, and the mood improves! Correctly picking a cream with a UV filter, you can take sunbaths, without fear of scorching.
However, the cosmetic industry also produces other skin protection products: for example, tanning lotions for sunburn. For what they are needed, for what kind of skin they are suitable, and what kinds of them there are, the following article will tell.
Suntan Lotions: What Kind to Choose?
Usually before vacation on the beach or going to the solarium we buy a sunblock, choosing it for your skin type. But there are few people who know that there are lotions for tanning in the same category of cosmetics. Meanwhile, an outdoor tanning lotion should be in the cosmetic bag for all women whose skin is highly sensitive or prone to dryness.
All cosmeticians know one “golden” rule of skin care: whatever cream you are going to apply to it, you must first clean and moisten its surface. In fact, for this, many lotions and tonics are released, which we use daily, caring for the skin of the face or body.
In particular, lotions are indispensable for restoring the skin on dry elbows and returning it to its original smoothness. As a sunscreen cosmetics suntan lotion performs the same functions as its traditional counterparts, namely it moisturizes and softens the skin.
Modern cosmetic brands produce it in three main variations:
- Sunscreen lotion
- Moisturizing lotion
- Restoring lotion
Just like the classic sunscreen, sunscreen lotion contains UV filters that provide protection against ultraviolet radiation. On the label, they are usually denoted by the abbreviation SPF, and a numerical value indicating the degree of protection is placed next.
So, for example, lotions with SPF 20 provide an average degree of skin protection. They are recommended for people with a European type of appearance, that is, normal light skin and blond or chestnut hair. People whose type of appearance is defined as Celtic (the distinctive features are tender white or pinkish skin, and blond or red hair), you need to use lotions and creams with SPF 30 in the early days of exposure to the open sun, and then you are allowed to go to the “twenty”.
Is it necessary to apply a lot of anti-tanning cream on top of sunscreen lotion? There is no clear answer to this question, and only a professional dermatologist or cosmetologist can give you a detailed consultation, assessing the condition of your skin and its individual characteristics.
For people with thin and sensitive skin, double protection is often justified, especially if they come to rest somewhere in the tropics from the far north. And those who are naturally endowed with a swarthy tinge of skin, there is enough one remedy. In other words, they need to apply either lotion or sunscreen.back to menu ↑
Moisturizing lotions are also good to always have at hand. They will be required to care for the skin after it receives its portion of ultraviolet. As a rule, they contain a soothing complex based on plant extracts. With the moisturizing lotion, the body is lubricated at the end of all sunbathing.
This remedy helps to cope with such problems as skin dehydration, inflammation, redness, discomfort, and soreness. In some cases, it performs the functions of “fixer” tan.back to menu ↑
Lotions with a restoring effect are a kind of moisturizers. They just differ with the more intense action. With their help, it is possible to normalize the natural balance of the skin, reduce puffiness and signs of inflammation, which are manifested after an unsuccessful stay in the sun. The main thing is not to save lotion when applied to the body, portions should be abundant.
After the product is absorbed into the skin, the procedure can be repeated, withstood the interval of an hour. Usually, the next day discomfort and soreness stop worrying, but to fix the positive effect it is recommended to refrain from sunbathing for 1-2 days. During this time, thanks to the lotion, the skin will finally come back to the norm.back to menu ↑
The intensive tanning oil dermatologists are advised to use only when your skin already has a rather dark tint. Most often, the sun tan oil has a low protective factor. Its task is to protect the skin from ultraviolet light and enhance the tan. It’s not advisable to use oil as a means for the face. The skin on the face is more tender and sensitive, it needs special care.
Many oils for a quick tan in its composition already contain natural filters that help protect the skin from ultraviolet light. An additional advantage is the protection of the skin from the photoaging. This is a guarantee of prolongation of the youth of your skin because everyone knows about the harm of frequent sunburn in the sun and in the solarium.
It is worth noting that the oils cannot provide high protection from the sun, so observe the simple rules for sunbathing:
- Add in addition to tanning oil physical UV filters, including zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. This is especially important if you have age spots on the skin;
- Do not forget about the length of staying in the sun;
- Combine natural oils with special products that are enriched with synthetic UV filters. This is especially effective if your skin has not yet sunbathed.
- There is no need to reapply the suntan oil, and the reviews confirm this. Oil does not wash off during bathing;
- The ergonomics of the oil surprises – it is easily distributed over the skin, you do not need to apply it in a dense layer;
- The same oil mixture can be successfully used for the face, hair, and skin;
- Except to protect your body from the sun, oils will help moisturize, smooth, and soften the skin.
Oil for intensive sunburn with sunscreen effect has gained its popularity many years ago due to its unique properties. The oil for a smooth, beautiful tan, as the reviews of many women say, gives the most even and full tan.
It is able to protect the skin from direct sunlight even during bathing. With the use of oil, tans are retained on the skin for a long time. When swimming in a pool with bleach, it is oil that protects your skin from the harmful effects of chemical additives in the water.back to menu ↑
How to Use an Outdoor Tanning Lotion?
In order to get the best results when tanning outdoors, you should take the right steps. And the most important step is applying your tanning lotion properly.
To achieve the best results, you should use your outdoor tanning lotion with two other lotions in the following order:
- When you wake up, apply a pre-tanning lotion. These lotions are designed to exfoliate, smooth, and moisturize the skin. This essentially preps the skin to absorb the tanning lotion well and to tan evenly. Allow this at least an hour to absorb.
- At the pool, beach, or wherever you are tanning, apply your outdoor tanning lotion. Be certain you apply this as evenly as possible, using lotion applicators to reach all spots on your back. Follow the instructions on the bottle to achieve the best possible results. If it contains no SPF, mix with a sunscreen with the SPF level of your choosing.
- After you are done tanning, use an after-tanning lotion. This lotion is all about hydration, ensuring that your time in the sun does not dry out or damage your skin. This will also serve to keep your tan even and healthy looking. You can look for those with aloe to help pull the heat out of your skin when done.
How Does Using an Outdoor Tanning Lotion Benefit Me?
Because different lotions have different formulas, they offer different benefits. With that said, there are some benefits that are offered by all or the majority of outdoor tanning lotions.
These benefits include:
- Hydrated Skin: Most outdoor tanning lotions are designed to replenish the moisture that is lost when tanning. This ensures that your skin is not damaged by the process, and it can actually improve the overall health of your skin.
- Rapid Results: Since you need to use SPF when tanning outdoors, your results can be slower than when tanning in a tanning bed. Outdoor tanning lotions are designed to speed up the process, helping you get maximum results in minimal time.
- Lasting Results: In addition to getting you results faster, outdoor tanning lotions also help your results last longer. Moisturized skin gets a deeper tan, holding onto the color longer.
- Softer Skin: Outdoor tanning lotions soften the skin while they moisturize. This helps to give your skin a more youthful look. Some lotions also reduce cellulite and increase elasticity.
- Less Odor: Because our skin naturally has bacteria, allowing it to become heated by the sun means that the bacteria also heats, which releases a smell. Many outdoor tanning lotions have antibacterial properties, reducing or eliminating the odor.
The Top of Outdoor Tanning Lotions
We’ve prepared for you the review of the most trustworthy and qualitative tanning lotions, in order for you to be able to choose the best outdoor tanning lotion.
#1 Maui Babe Browning Lotion
Amazing Maui Babe Browning Lotion is safe for all skin types even the fairest and most sensitive. It can be used with sunscreens. It might be the best tanning lotion.
- Accelerates the sun triggered tanning processes in the skin
- Is safe for all skin types
- Might feel greasy if to apply it to the face
#2 Maui Babe SPF 30 Sunscreen Lotion
- Helps to achieve a deep, rich, and golden brown tan
- Protects from the sun’s harmful rays
- Consult your doctor in case you have an intolerance to the components included
#3 Australian Gold Sinfully Black 15x Deep Dark Bronzing Tanning Lotion
- Is cost effective
- Has a tempting berry fragrance
- Leaves the skin smooth and supple
- Contains parabens and propylene glycol
#4 Another option from Australian Gold: CHEEKY BROWN Accelerator Dark Natural Bronzer
- Is formulated with Australian oils
- Doesn’t make the skin feel sticky
- Is easily absorbed into the skin
- Has a nice fragrance
- Might be useless for you if you have an intolerance to the components included
#5 Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion
The tanning intensifiers deliver dark golden results without the use of bronzing agents. A pleasant bonus is that this tanning lotion prolongs the life and radiance of your tattoos. The means from Ed Hardy provides intense, deep skin hydration. It’s a good tanning lotion.
- Produces a softening and hydrating effect
- Prolongs the life and radiance of tattoos
- Might be not useful for you if you can’t stand coconut scent
- Can feel greasy if you put a wrong amount of it
#6 Fractionated Coconut Oil by Sky Organics
Coconut oil is nourishing for your skin and protects it to a small degree from harmful UV rays. It doesn’t have any unwanted chemical additives, but it softens and helps your skin retain moisture. It speeds up Vitamin D production.
- Doesn’t have any unwanted chemical additives
- Is purely organic and natural
- Protects from harmful UV rays
- Might be not suitable for you if you have the coconut oil intolerance
#7 SunGodZ Apollo/Artemis 375X Bronzer Tanning Lotion with Argan, Coconut Oil and Agave
- Is based on glycerin and silicone
- Includes natural extracts
- Protects tattoos from fading
- May leave orange color on hands after applying
#8 Banana Boat Deep Tanning Oil Spray with Carrot and Banana Extracts
- Is enriched with cocoa butter, coconut oil, and carrot root extract
- Has a water-resistant formula
- It’s only recommended for people who already have a base tan
#9 Millenium Tanning New Paint It Black Auto-darkening Dark Tanning Lotion, 50X
- Works fast
- Produces soothing and rejuvenating effect
- Has splendid odor of cotton
- Includes parabens and DHA
#10 Supre Smoke Black Bronzer
The means combines dark tanning lotion maximizers with ultra dark self-acting bronzers to enhance and multiply the darkening ability of the skin. It is designed for advanced tanners who want to dramatically darken their existing tan.
- Enhances and multiplies the darkening ability of the skin
- Contains vitamins and natural extracts
- Is suitable only for advanced tanners
#11 Sun Bum Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion
The means is photo-stable and hypoallergenic. Sun Bum SPF 15+ Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion is paraben, PABA, and oil free.
- Is tested and approved, and recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation (SCF)
- Enriches the skin with vitamin E
- Is photo-stable and hypoallergenic
- Is paraben, PABA, and oil free
- May leave orange color on hands after applying
Accessories for Tanning Outdoors
Aside from the tanning lotions, which are incredibly needful and useful, you may need some other things to make your tanning outdoors full of fun and safe.
#1 Duduma Polarized Designer Fashion Sports Sunglasses
- Protect eyes from the harmful sun rays
- Might be not suitable for you if you don’t like the design
#2 Flying Fisherman Fowey Polarized Sunglasses with Tortoise Frames
- Provide protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays
- Have a polarized lens system
- Might be useless for you if you aren’t an adherent of sunglasses
#3 Large Beach and Pool Towel, in Cabana Stripe by Utopia Towels
- Cost little
- Are large and soft
- Might be not useful for you if you don’t like Cabana Stripe
#4 Klean Kanteen Wide Mouth Bottle
- Is portable
- Keeps the water cool
- Might be not suitable for you if you like drinking warm water
#5 Coleman Converta Cot
- Is comfortable and portable
- Is multi-positional
- Might be useless for you if you aren’t an adherent of cot chairs
For a tan that comes quickly and lasts a long time, you need to use the best open suntan lotion. However, not all are created equal, so you must take care to buy the one that suits you.
Carefully weigh your options and always use them in accordance with the directions on the bottle. We hope this article has been informative and useful to you, and now you are able to choose the best tanning lotion for you.