Best Shampoo for Oily Scalp 20 Proven Products That Work (2018)
Oily hair causes its owners a lot of inconveniences: by the end of a long day, it tends to turn into dull “icicles”, losing volume and shine. However, a competent choice of a shampoo for oily hair can save the situation. In order to understand how this works, it is worth to learn more about the problem of an oily scalp, the reasons and ways to eliminate it.
The cause of the oily hair is the excessive activity of the sebaceous glands of the scalp. Oily hair should be often washed, as it quickly becomes soiled and has an unpleasant appearance. To cope with the excessive fat of the hair, you need to choose the right shampoo for the greasy hair.
The task of a shampoo for oily hair is not just to wash off the excess fat from the hair but also to prevent it from reappearing. For this, shampoo should normalize the work of the sebaceous glands, which means that it should contain special antibacterial components. Most shampoos, intended for the gentle care of the oily scalp, contain extracts of herbs.
Together with the increased fat content of hair usually goes hand in hand the so-called fatty dandruff. In this case, you need to choose a shampoo for an oily hair, which additionally helps to fight dandruff. The composition of such shampoos includes Tar, Sulfur or Zinc. In this article, we will try to figure it out what is the best shampoo for oily hair.
Causes of the Hair Being Greasy
Increased production of sebum leads to the fact that the hair becomes oily. In the worst cases, sebum closes roots, which can lead to dandruff and the hair loss.
The reasons for the excessive production of sebum can be the following:
- Taking medications;
- Improper care;
- Season of the year;
- Temperature changes;
- Hormonal imbalance;
- Bad habits;
- Prolonged stress.
Proper Care of the Oily Hair
The oily scalp needs to have a proper care of it. Try to keep to the following rules.
- Use clear shampoos and avoid creamy ones.
- Avoid tight braids, a hair-pulling jewelry, and headgears.
- Don’t use means that contain proteins or lipid complexes like oils and silicone. They will only exacerbate the situation, making the hair heavier and making it even fatter.
- For styling use sprays and lacquers containing alcohol and which slightly dry the hair.
- Do not use brushes. They will only distribute sebum from the roots to the ends. In this case, a comb is enough.
- Avoid the hot air of a hair dryer and forceps. A high temperature stimulates the activity of the sebaceous glands. Do not dry the hair with hot air; use a warm or a cool mode. Wash it with cool water.
- Choose combs from natural materials and if possible with rounded tips of teeth, so that when combing, do not stimulate the scalp once again. Good combs should never scratch the skin.
- As often as possible, remove the excess fat (sebum) with therapeutic clay. It can be purchased at a pharmacy. It absorbs and binds the excess fat and is great for treating the oily hair.
94% of women interviewed by the German Product Testing Foundation said they consider shampoo to be the most important hygiene product. No wonder women want to pick up the best one. Important selection criteria are the type and quality of the hair, its structure and the condition of the scalp. Remember that over time the condition of the hair and skin changes. Therefore, sometimes you need to give up the usual shampoo and choose another that takes into account the changed needs of a scalp and hair.back to menu ↑
The Composition of a Good Shampoo for an Oily Scalp
The effective shampoos for an oily scalp mostly have in their content the following ingredients:
- Extracts of:
- Vitamins A, C, and K.
The good shampoo for an oily scalp also must produce bactericidal, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic and tonic effects. This is exactly what needs a fat scalp. By the way, plant extracts, among other things, are a source of vitamins needed for fatty hair.
If you want to get rid of not only the increased fat content of hair but also from one more of its frequent companion – dandruff, look for the following ingredients on the package:
- Salts of zinc and selenium;
- Salicylic acid;
- Extracts of a nettle, a tea tree, and a eucalyptus;
How to Find out if the Shampoo for Greasy Hair is Good?
Producers of shampoos in advertising often argue that after using their goods, the hair looks healthy. But after using a really high-quality shampoo, the hair does not just look healthy – it really becomes like that.
Of course, there is no universal shampoo that would suit all owners of fatty hair: each person has an individual reaction to cosmetics. How to determine if the shampoo you are using is really right for you? There a few sighs that you’ve chosen a suitable shampoo.
Here they are:
- After drying, the hair should shine naturally.
- The hair scalp should not have a greasy glow.
- The hair is good to comb.
- There is no irritation to the scalp.
- A good shampoo makes the hair silky and elastic.
- A suitable shampoo prevents the rapid contamination of the hair.
The Correct Using a Shampoo for an Oily Scalp
In order to achieve the best possible effect, the shampoo must be applied in a correct way. Here are some important rules.
- More does not mean better. For the short hair, it will be enough a little drop of a shampoo. The long hair implies twice as much.
- Wet your head thoroughly before applying the shampoo. If a frothy cap is formed, you’ve used too much of a means. The absence of foam signals that the shampoo needs to be added.
- Do not massage your head too energetically during washing. Rub the shampoo with gentle movements. The tips are usually drier, so do not soap them, they will be sufficiently draining during the washing off of the foam of a shampoo.
- Always carefully rinse the product so that it does not remain on the head. Remains of a shampoo or a conditioner on the hair can deprive it of a healthy glowing.
What if You Can’t Cope with Oily Scalp?
If you can’t get rid of fatty hair yourself try to consult a dermatologist. In difficult cases, you may need the help of a specialist. The recommended drugs, as a rule, contain fully trans-retinoic acid – PTCA (a derivative of vitamin A), which regulates the secretion of sebaceous glands.
In most cases, special hair care products will help with oily hair. They will restore the balanced production of substances by the sebaceous glands.
Seaweed and herbs, such as horsetail, rosemary, butterflies, nettle, chamomile, and sage, will regulate the production of sebum and calm the irritated scalp. Curative shampoos with tar will also help to adjust the work of the sebaceous glands.back to menu ↑
The Best Shampoos for Greasy Hair
We’ve done a research in order to inform you what’s the best shampoo for oily hair. We hope this guide will be useful for you and you will find the best shampoo for greasy hair which suits exactly to you.
Degrease Shampoo for Oily Hair by Maple Holistics
Maple Holistics Degrease Shampoo includes no parabens, sulfates, and colorants. It fights the dandruff problem also. Maybe it’s one the best anti-dandruff shampoos for oily scalp.
- Cleans out the pores thoroughly
- Balances the pH level of the skin
- Has a too liquid consistency
Shampoo for Oily Hair by Honeydew
These components will balance the sebum secretion and lessen the irritation. If you are not satisfied with the product you will be given your money back. This is a really good shampoo for greasy hair.
- Has natural components in its formula
- Balances the sebum secretion
- Does not prolong the purity of the hair
- Is not suitable for a very greasy scalp
Shampoo for Oily Hair – With Jojoba and Keratin by Honeydew
- Stimulates the scalp renewal
- Is free of sulfates and parabens
- For a pronounced effect, prolonged use is required
- In the first weeks of treatment causes increased hair loss
Schwarzkopf BC Scalp Therapy Deep Cleansing Shampoo
- Contains panthenol
- Cleanses hair follicles
- Might be useless for you if you are intolerable to panthenol
Therapro Mediceuticals Solv-X Oily Scalp & Hair Treatment Shampoo
- Produces anti-allergic and bactericidal effects
- Stops the hair loss
- Makes the hair matted
Cowshed Moody Cow Balancing Shampoo
- Is formulated of the natural components
- Prevents the hair rapid contamination
- Doesn’t add the glowing to the hair
Sachajuan Professional Care Shampoo for Oily Hair
It might be the best shampoo for oily hair with dandruff.
- Cleanses carefully the oil and dirt
- Includes the natural substances
- Has a too liquid consistency
- Might be useless for you if you are intolerable to menthol
L’Oreal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay
- Cleanses excessive oil effectively
- Contains a natural ingredient
- Implies using the other products of the series
Vichy Ultra Soothing Shampoo
It soothes skin and calms any irritations whilst leaving hair clean and refreshed. It might be the best scalp cleansing shampoo for a tempting price.
- Soothes skin and calms any irritations
- Includes salicylic and lactic acid
- Makes the hair matted
Redken Scalp Relief Oil Detox
- Balances the scalp’s pH
- Stops the excessive oil production
- Can dry the hair scalp
L’Oreal Professionnel Pure Resource Shampoo
- Removes excess grease
- Contains Citramine
- Purifies the hair follicles
- Can’t be used for a daily use
- Might be not suitable for you if you are Citramine intolerable
Bumble & Bumble Sunday Shampoo
- Can be applied to the dyed and chemically treated hair
- Removes effectively the excess oil
- Can be too intense for the fragile hair
Kerastase Specifique Bain Divalent Balancing Shampoo
- Nourishes the sensitized areas of the hair scalp
- Contains Vitamin B6 and Glycine
- Might be not useful for you if you have an intolerance to the components included
Pantene’s Anti Dandruff Shampoo
Usually, anti-dandruff shampoos can be rather drying, but this works gently and doesn’t dry out your scalp. Dandruff considerably reduces after a week or two of usage. This is probably the best shampoo for oily hair with dandruff you can get for a reasonable cost.
- Contains Zinc Prithione
- Works gently and doesn’t dry out the hair scalp
- May be not suitable for you if you have an allergy to Zinc Prithione
Tresemme Deep Cleansing Shampoo
- Removes the grease from the scalp thoroughly
- Cleanses residues from hairstyling products gently
- Might be not suitable for you if you have a sensitive type of the head skin
- Is preferable to use it once a week
Asience Nature Smooth Shampoo
Meet Asience Nature Smooth Shampoo. It contains argan oil, camellia oil rose essence, pomegranate extract, lemongrass essence, and white pearl essence. It removes grease well while keeping your hair moisturized. It’s the best shampoo for oily scalp and dry ends.
- Removes grease well, while keeping the hair moisturized
- Includes natural components
- Is suitable for a combination hair type
- Lathers badly
- Can be expensive
Moist Diane Extra Fresh Shampoo
It also includes 48 especially curative herbs that work together for an overall antibacterial and healing effect. It might be the best shampoo for oily scalp dry ends.
- Contains salicylic acid and o-Cymen-5-ol
- Includes 48 especially curative herbs
- Can dry the hair scalp
Hask Charcoal With Citrus Oil Purifying Shampoo
- Promises zero build-ups
- Is infused with charcoal and vitamin C-rich lemon
- Lathers badly
- Might be not useful for you if you have an allergy to the components included
Innisfree Green Tea Mint Fresh Scalp Conditioner
- Help control excess sebum scalp
- Purifies the hair
- Might be not suitable for you if you don’t like peppermint
Fushi Balance & Lift Herbal Shampoo
- Refreshes the scalp
- Balances sebum production
- Contains natural components
- Is not ergonomic
- Makes the hair matted
- Does not give shine to the hair
We hope you’ll find among the products suggested the one shampoo which will make your hair glowing with health and beauty.