19 Best Face Washes for Oily Skin Reviewed in 2018
During the day, the skin becomes dirty for many reasons: due to the negative effects of surrounding factors such as smog and dust, due to the fattening of the body and make-up remnants. Therefore, to clean it, washing in the morning and in the evening is necessary, regardless of whether you use cosmetics or not.
Face washes cope with this task brilliantly. Today we are going to speak about the face cleansers and figure it out what is the best face wash for oily skin.
Kinds of Face Washes
Face cleansers should be matched according to the type of the skin. Aside from the important surfactants, there are various useful additives and components that, while improving the appearance, also heal the skin, penetrating deeply through the cleaned pores.
Depending on what type of the surfactant is included in the gel, they come in the following kinds:
- Amphoteric. To their composition are included components such as Sarcosine, Cocoyl, and Betaine. These are the most expensive and high-quality gels, acting most effectively and gently.
- Anionic. The substances that make up their composition do not penetrate deeply enough into the skin but are repelled from it, and therefore they purify worse. And the Lauryl Sulfate included into their composition dries the skin.
- Cationic. They, in contrast to the above-described anionic ones, penetrate too deeply, thus causing to people with sensitive skin dryness and allergies. Contain Polyquaternium and Quaternium.
- Non-ionic. They contain Decyl-Glucoside. Like ordinary water, they simply remove dust from the surface of the skin, and therefore are ineffective and practically useless, albeit being inexpensive.
The Composition of the Face Cleansers
On the packaging of any product is indicated by its composition. Preferably, if the cleanser gel contains mildly active substances: Coco or Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Carpylyl (Capryl) or Coco Glucoside, Glycolic, Lactic, or Salicylic Acid, as well as natural oils.
If the product has a mineral oil, after a long application of such cosmetics, you will eventually get clogged pores and an increased number of comedones. You should be careful if Sodium Myreth Sulfate (SMS), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) are included in the gel. These are aggressive surfactants. True, there is an opinion that SLES is safer than SLS.
Useful Properties of the Use of Cleansers for Oily Skin
The use of a properly selected cleanser for oily skin will produce such positive effects:
- Purification and disinfection. In addition to the purely mechanical removal of skin-contaminating particles (dust, dirt, sebaceous secretions, and make-up), the cleansing gel often has an antibacterial effect and stops the spread of the infection.
- Humidification and nutrition. Unlike soap, the gel is gentler and does not dry the skin, but thanks to various useful additives it moisturizes and nourishes it.
Selecting a suitable face wash for oily skin, remember that products containing oils (they promote the reproduction of bacteria) are contraindicated to you. Those who have derma problems, should, in addition, to thorough cleansing, also prevent the emergence and spread of foci of infection.
The face wash for acne prone skin should contain salicylic acid, zinc, and triclosan. For normal skin, cleanser gels containing plant extracts are recommended, and for mature ones – with antioxidants and fruit acids, and preferably a moisturizing and nourishing thick cream gel.
Characteristics of an Oily Skin
The tendency of the skin to fat content is usually inherited. So, with a wave of a magic wand (and even with the help of a whole arsenal of creams, and masks) it is not possible to turn an oily type of the skin into a normal one.
However, an oily skin has its advantages: wrinkles appear later because it is denser than a dry and even normal one. As for the disadvantages, here they are:
- Obviously, the sebaceous glands of the fatty skin type produce more secretion than the glands of a dry one.
- Expanded pores are also a typical phenomenon: the widest are always located on the nose and in the area around the nose, as well as on the forehead and on the chin. It is impossible to drastically reduce the size of pores. This parameter is determined mainly by genetics. But if the pores are clean, they look narrower and less noticeable. But the polluted ones, on the contrary, are conspicuous.
- Acne and comedones are not infrequent guests on the oily skin. The reason for their occurrence is propionibacteria, which actively multiply in a skin secret.
How to Use the Face Washes for the Oily Skin Correctly?
In order to produce the best possible effect, a face cleanser for oily skin should be used in a right way. Try to keep the following rule: if there is the decorative cosmetic on the face, it is necessary to remove it with a special means (for example, the milk to remove makeup, etc.) and only then wash with a cleansing gel.
Consider the following factors:
- Water. It should be only slightly warm. A cold or hot water will unnecessarily narrow/dilate the vessels, which will not have the best effect on those who have fragile and sensitive skin. It is also necessary to monitor the quality of the water. The high content of chlorine adversely affects the skin, and after all, with a detergent, it penetrates into it quite deeply.
- A mode of application. In most cases, the algorithm for using a cleansing gel is as follows: moisturize the skin with water, apply the agent on your hands, rub it in your face with circular movements, thrice making a kind of massage from the forehead to the chin and rinse thoroughly with the water. You shouldn’t roughly press and rub. All movements should be gentle and soft. Be sure to read the instructions on the package, perhaps, this means has some subtleties in the way of application. For example, gels for an oily acne prone skin can be rubbed into it more strongly.
- Time. The safe time of applying of the face wash is no more than 20 seconds, and then the gel should be washed off. If the skin is still not clean enough, just repeat the procedure.
- After washing. Pat the skin with a soft towel and use a cream or a beauty mask.
Some experts recommend washing with a cleanser gel twice a day: in the morning and in the evening. Others believe that in the morning just rinse and use a tonic is enough.
This point of view is based on the fact that frequent washing with means containing surfactants can cause dehydration of the epithelium and damage to its protective layer. You can try both options and choose the optimal one exactly for you.
Contraindications to the Use of Face Washes for an Oily Skin
If the face washing gel for an oily skin is picked up incorrectly, then instead of a positive cleansing effect, its use can cause quite serious consequences, such as allergies, irritation and skin rashes.
But even the correctly chosen remedy may not suit people with the hypersensitive skin, as well as those who have an individual intolerance or an allergy to any components that make up its composition.
Before using a new gel for washing, test it on the skin of the wrist and make sure that after application there is no redness. During pregnancy and during breastfeeding, the skin can react differently, including negatively, to the usual means.
The choice of gel should be approached seriously because the use of the incorrectly picked up ones violates the lipid barrier and overdoes the epithelium.back to menu ↑
The Best Face Cleansers for Oily Skin
Anyway, if you are sure about the type of your skin and want to find the best face cleansers for oily skin, we’ve prepared the compilation of those ones which are proved to be effective and safe.
#1 Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel Cleanser for Oily Skin
- Purifies and moisturizes gently
- Doesn’t leave a dry feeling after rinsing
- Can be expensive
#2 Glytone Mild Gel Cleanser
- Exfoliates the skin
- Contains no SLS and alcohol
- Can make the skin dry
- Implies the use of a moisturizing cream
#3 Mario Badescu Glycolic Foaming Cleanser
- Contains natural extracts and a glycolic acid
- Makes the skin soft and smooth
- Includes parabens
#4 Bioderma Sebium Foaming Gel Pump
- Normalizes the level of sebum
- Contains Zinc Sulfate
- Might be useless for you if you have an allergy to Zinc Sulfate
#5 Vichy Normaderm Daily Deep Cleansing Gel Cleanser with Salicylic Acid
Altogether these ingredients produce the complex effect on the oily acne prone skin. They exfoliate the dead skin, normalize pH-balance, and prevent new skin imperfections.
- Unclogs pores
- Lessens the oiliness of the skin
- Might be not useful for you if you have not an acne prone skin type
#6 Elizabeth Arden Visible Difference Oil Free Cleanser
- Doesn’t over dry the skin
- Is mild
- Might have a strong scent
#7 Bioderma Sebium H2O Water
- Removes the makeup thoroughly
- Refreshes the skin
- Causes no irritation
- Can cost much
#8 Biore Blemish Fighting Ice Cleanser
- Includes salicylic acid
- Stops blemishes
- Clears up blackheads
- Might be useless for you if you don’t have blemishes
#9 Biore Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser
- Cleanses deeply and effectively
- Includes charcoal
- Contains parabens and SLS
#10 Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
All these components’ intention is to purify and moisturize the skin.
- Purifies and moisturizes the skin
- Includes natural components
- Can be expensive
#11 Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
Cetaphil Gentle face wash is hypo-allergenic and has practically no scent.
- Has no scent
- Is hypo-allergenic
- Might be useless for you if you like scented face washes
#12 Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash
- Includes natural components
- Doesn’t over dry the skin
- Implies using a moisturizing cream
#13 AHAVA Dead Sea Purifying Mud Soap
- Is organic
- Rejuvenates and heals the skin
- Might have an unpleasant odor
#14 Amara Organics Facial Cleanser with 15% Vitamin C
- Doesn’t include parabens and colorants
- Contains Vitamin C
- Lathers badly
#15 Era Organics Natural Face Wash Moisturizing Facial Cleanser with Organic Aloe Vera & Manuka Honey for Dry, Oily, Damaged, Sensitive Skin
- Doesn’t contain parabens and SLS
- Heals the blemishes
- Might be not useful for you if you are intolerable to the honey
#16 CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
- Contains the hyaluronic acid and niacinamide
- Lessens the irritation of the skin
- Can make your skin feeling stiff
#17 Burt’s Bees Facial Cleansing Towelettes, Pink Grapefruit
- Remove the extra oils without rinsing
- Include an extract of a grapefruit
- Might be not useful for you if you have an allergy to grapefruits
#18 Simple Kind to Skin Facial Wipes
- Contain Vitamin B5
- Cleanse the skin delicately
- Might be useless if you aren’t an adherent of facial wipes.
#19 CLINIQUE Take The Day Off Micellar Cleansing Towelettes for Face & Eyes
- Are effective in make-up removing
- Might be useless if you don’t like micellar cleansing towelettes
The face wash must be among your cosmetics. After all, skin cleansing is a fundamental factor in which the skin health depends, and, consequently, beauty.
The main thing is not to make a mistake when choosing, to take into account all factors: a skin type, the age, a chemical composition, and a brand. We hope this article has been informative and useful to you, and now you are able to choose the best cleanser for oily skin.